Advice on Community Contacts page
(assembled for Barron Park Residents)
- This is TELNET access, not a Web page
(you are using the same software as on the dumb terminals
in the library branches).
- The login name is "library" (stated in the banner as of this writing)
with no password.
- You need to know the terminal type that your browser uses
for telnet connections.
For example, "XTERM", "VT100"
- You need to go through several screens before you actually get
to the catalog.
- You can use the catalog to locate a book: which branch(es),
if it is checked out and when it is due.
- You can also use this session to check on what you have checked out
(you need to enter your library card number).
- Read the bulletin board screens that come up when you first connect
to find out more information about the system.
- There is also a similar link in the city's
that does not work on some systems.
If this link does not work for you, try theirs.
E-Mail to Palo Alto City Government
Most city staff can be reached via e-mail, using the scheme:
For example: john.smith@CityOfPaloAlto.org
- Previous format: FirstName_LastName@city.palo-alto.ca.us : note that the underscore between first and last names has become a dot and that the domain name has changed.
Getting the right e-mail address may involve some guessing:
It has (long) been suggested that the city include "mailto" links
on the staff directory page, but ...
- Some city staff are listed in the directory
under variants of their official names
(for example, "Bill" for "William", "Sue" for "Suzanne"),
- The underscore between the first and last names may be omitted
(this was the scheme announced in the Palo Alto Weekly),
- A hyphen may occur in place of the underscore.
- The city is planning to make an e-mail address directory available
in the "near future" (said in 8/95).
California State Assembly Web Site
Warnings as of May 1997
- This site is often very, very slow:
graphics-intensive and seems to be underpowered
(no comment on inferences/jokes about the parent organization).
- For those who have their browser options set to
show an alert box before accepting a cookie:
this site requests a lot of cookies to even let you in the door
(again, no comment).
Version Info: $Revision: 1.8 $ $Date: 2002/12/11 08:05:16 $